Are you thrilled about your pregnancy but miserable in the throes of morning sickness? Here are a few tips and tricks for dealing with pregnancy nausea and vomiting that have worked for many moms.
- Eat a snack before getting out of bed in the morning. Either have your partner bring it to you, or keep something in a cooler next to your bed. Raising your blood sugar and then getting up very slowly can head off morning sickness before it begins. Similarly, eat a high protein snack before bed and every time you wake in the night to go to the bathroom. Cheese, a spoonful of nut butter, nuts and whole grain crackers are good choices.
- Vitamin B6 helps some women. Talk to your health care provider about supplements during pregnancy.
- Small frequent meals keep your blood sugar stable throughout the day and don’t aggravate your sensitive tummy as much. Plan to eat every 2-3 hours.
- Avoid trigger smells & strong odors in general. Have someone else deal with smelly trash cans, pet messes, rotten food on dirty dishes or other stinkies. Have your partner switch to unscented personal care products if fragrance makes you ill.
- Try eating beans. The soluble fiber in beans helps bind with the extra bile (pregnant women have extra bile thanks to the hormone HcG)
- Go with your cravings. It’s better to have a cheeseburger and fries that stays down than a salad that comes back up.
- Ginger in its many forms helps some: ginger ale, ginger tea, ginger capsules, ginger candy.
- Hard candies, lollipops & popsicles help some pregnant ladies plus they are a nice treat.
- Lemon essential oil can quell nausea. Try sniffing a lemon when nausea hits or putting a drop of lemon oil on a cotton ball and taking a whiff when you smell unpleasant odors.
- Similarly, peppermint oil can help. Take a whiff of peppermint oil straight from the bottle when you feel waves of nausea or sucking on a peppermint candy.
- Get enough protein. Eating protein and fewer sugars can help put the brakes on nausea.
- If you’re really having issues keeping anything down be sure to talk to you doctor, prescription anti-nausea medicines may be in order.
And always remember this is only temporary and so worth it in the end.
Love your friends at Haute Mommies and Bella Babies, your source for unique Maternity and Baby clothing, gifts, accessories and gear!!